The teen years pose some of the most difficult challenges for families. Teenagers, dealing with hormone changes and an ever-complex world, may feel that no one can understand their feelings, especially parents. As a result, the teen may feel angry, alone and confused while facing complicated issues about identity, peers, sexual behavior, drinking and drugs.
Parents may be frustrated and angry that the teen seems to no longer respond to parental authority. Methods of discipline that worked well in earlier years may no longer have an effect. And, parents may feel frightened and helpless about the choices their teen is making. As they seek greater independence, they often come into conflict with parents. Most get through adolescence with few problems, establishing identities and preparing for adulthood. Some, however, experience problems that lead to dropping out of school, drug use or crime.
Teen counseling can help children and teens:
- More effectively cope with stressors and problems. Teenagers can be under a lot of stress, whether it’s pressure to do well in school or trying to decide what they want to do when they graduate. Teen counseling can give a teenager skills to manage stress effectively.
- Improve relationships at home with family
- Increase social effectiveness and improve peer relations
- Feel more self-confident and comfortable. The teenage years are a tumultuous time, and teens struggle to feel good about themselves when they are bombarded with social issues and societal pressures.Teen counseling can help boost a teen’s self-esteem.
- Feel less depressed and anxious and experience more happiness. Depression is common in the teen years as identity crises kick in. Many mood disorders also begin as a teenager. Signs of depression include irritability, sadness, and withdrawal from friends and favorite pastimes. Teen counseling can help with an accurate diagnosis and early intervention.
- Improve academic functioning and pursue goals
- Learn anger management strategies
- Stop making poor choices with harmful or potentially harmful consequences
Our teen counseling services are incredible, and our professional counselors are knowledgeable in specific therapy strategies that are effective with unique problems and combine knowledge and experience in providing the most effective treatments for children, teens, and families.